And then there's The Attached. The Attached is a character who has met and bonded with some kind of creature? being? sentience? That relationship has changed them both. Whether "The Object" is a friend, foe, or something else is uncovered in play. They may have their own agenda or they may want what's best-- but a system of Hungers for the Object pushes things in new directions.
Below is a rough adaptation of the ideas of The Attached for Masks: A New Generation. I tried to carry over the themes while still providing a decent level of power.
You gained your powers when you found your new Friend. They might be a rogue robot, a fairy, a lost mecha, a summoning with its own agenda, or a genetically modified dinosaur. Together you are strong and you know you have to care for one another.
Gertie from Runaways, Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur, Doug Ramsay & Warlock, Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot, The Iron Giant, Stanley and His Monster
Your story truly began when you came across your Friend. Whatever was before was either suddenly or gradually irrevocably changed when (choose 1):
- You created it
- You found it
- You bartered to obtain it.
- You stole it.
- You gained it when the former owner died or became unworthy.
- It chose you or manipulated circumstances so that you would obtain it.
- It detached from you as its own entity.
- It manifested to you as a mental projection.
- (Make Up Your Own)
You have a mental link with your Friend and communicate with them silently at a distance. As well working together you and your Friend have (choose two)
- Unusual Mobility (choose: flying, swimming, tunneling, hyper-speed, well running)
- Energy Bolts
- Forceful Slam
- Enhanced Senses
- Barrier Construction
- Tactical Awareness
- Armored Body
- Sonic Roar
- Freak +2
- Danger +1
- Savior +1
- Superior -1
- Mundane -1
• What happened when you first met The Friend?
• What do you believe The Friend is?
• Who or what threatens your relationship with The Friend?
• How have you and/or The Friend changed since you first met?
• Why do you care about the team?
When our team first came together…
My Friend manifested something I’d never seen before, what was it and how did it shift the battle?
- I’d crossed paths with ______________ just after I’d met my Friend and they helped me come to terms with my situation.
- _______________ has an unusual reaction to my Friend and I’m trying to figure it out.
You begin with your Friend having Influence over you. This Influence cannot be removed so long as you remain together. Choose one teammate who you’re drawn to, despite worrying that your Friend might not understand. Give them Influence.
MOVES (you get Look Out and 1 more)
The first time in a scene when you would mark a condition Due to Directly Engage a Threat or Take a Powerful Blow, your Friend may intercede and take the hit for you. You don’t mark the condition.
When you seek out the advice or insight of your Friend, give them +1 Hunger and roll +Savior On a hit, they point out an overseen path, fact, or clue about the situation. Say what that is. On a 10+ clear a condition or take +1 Forward to Assess. On a miss, they seem contrary. Choose: they’re angry at you for something, they have their own problem they’re contending with, they have a problematic connection to the issue you’re asking about.
When you merge together with your Friend in a new form describe what that looks like and roll +Freak. On a hit for the scene you may choose two additional Powers from Basic Gifts or a single move from an unused playbook (subject to GM approval). If you choose the latter, you may not choose that same move again with Merge. On a 7-9 mark a condition. On a miss, something goes wrong with your transformation. Mark a condition and take +1 Hunger.
When you would mark your fifth condition, say how your Friend puts themselves at risk to help you. Clear all but one condition as your Friend vanishes. They will return later, say how they are changed. You lose access to your playbook moves while your Friend’s gone, but do not suffer the other effects of When We’re Apart (see below).
When someone or something attempts to physically separate you from your Friend, they must mark a condition. It is nearly impossible to separate you without resorting to special powers. The exception is if your Hunger grows to more than 3.
We Are Legion
When you call on your Friend to call for assistance, roll +Freak. On a hit, more arrive. Describe what they are: a horde summoned from another dimension, a psychic duplicate, other models of your Friend, miniature versions, pieces which splinter off and transform. On a 10+ Hold 3. On a 7-9 Hold 1 or Hold 3 if you mark a condition. Spend Hold 1 for 1 to:
- Add a team to the team pool
- Reshape the environment
- Unleash your Powers over a wide area
- Take +1 Forward on Unleash Your Powers
- Keep a group of minions in check
Your Friend is joined with you, but has an agenda of its own– perhaps parallel to your own, perhaps capricious, perhaps more sinister. It begins with Hunger 0. At the start of a session, roll +Hunger. On a 10-11, Hold 2. On a 7-9, Hold 1. On a Miss, you may Hold 1 if you choose but you get to select the option below, rather than the MC.
During a session the MC may spend that Hold to have your Friend
- Name something; your Friend must have. When you give in to your object, mark potential and take -1 Hunger.
- Have it object to a course of action or propose one of its own; Should you obey, mark potential and take -1 Hunger.
- Shift your labels. If you reject their Influence, you may not cancel their Influence. The Friend always has influence over you.
If you have Hunger unspent at the end of a session, take +1 Hunger. If the GM forgets to use your Hunger, you may suggest opportunities for it. If your Hunger would go higher than 3, then your Friend goes missing for a time. See below.
When We’re Apart
When you are separated from your Friend for more than a few hours, you lose access to your playbook moves. Additionally (choose one):
- You become sick. Choose to set either Superior or Danger to -2 temporarily. This does not shift your other labels.
- You begin to question yourself. Mark Guilty until you’re able to restore the bond.
- Your senses begin to work overtime. The maximum result you may take on a Pierce the Mask or Assess the Situation is a 7-9.
Moment of Truth
You and your Friend finally come into complete harmony and sync. Both of you take on a new form to take on your challenges. Describe what that looks like and say how the new powers granted you let you overcome the situation. Declare what truth you come to understand about your Friend and their origin.
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask if they think your Friend has changed you for the better or worse. If they say for the better, they may shift your labels. If they say for the worse, mark potential and give them influence over you. If they vacillate, you may shift their labels.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them influence over you and say whether your Friend approves or disapproves of them and how strongly they feel. If The Friend approves, clear a condition. If they disapprove, mark potential.
Buy Masks: A New Generation here
Buy The Veil here