What happened here recently?
Getting the most out of World of Dungeons (03:30)
The Die of Fate (06:10)
What should I be on the lookout for?
Vin Moves on the Vindexus Blog (07:57)
What here is not what it appears to be?
Revealing information about magic items to the players (11:58)
What here is useful or valuable to me?
We announce the winner of the Codex Keeper contest! (16:49)
What is about to happen?
Our ongoing comic strip AP featuring the adventures of Ramshackle Crow (25:41)
A ruddy plane (27:01)
An expanse of black terrain (29:03)
This episode of Discern Realities is sponsored by Scablands Press. Follow the link to check out their newest fantasy game, The Indie Hack!
by Andy Katz
As is known to all, living things with red blood in their veins only come to be on worlds with a Moon, and that those beings with the sacred power to Bear offspring are bound deeply to this life-giving force. In exchange for a few children over a lifetime, the bodies of the Bearers offer to the Moon their life-blood each moon-cycle.
What is known only to a few, is the way that one may invoke the terrible power of the Pact, and exchange all one's future children to summon and bind a Child of the Moon.
When you sit upon the Altar and offer your womb to the full Moon according to the occult customs of your people, a torrent of blood pours forth from the Altar's cleft, and out of the blood-soaked ground is born a Child of the Moon. The GM will describe its otherworldly appearance. Roll+CON.
On a 10+: Choose two.
On a 7-9: Choose one, and reduce your Constitution by 1 permanently.
- Your control over the Child is absolute. If this is not chosen, the Child will heed you at times, but may rebel willfully as all children are wont to do.
- The Child is clever. Chose a level one spell from the Wizard spellbook. You may ask the child to cast this spell once per day.
- The Child is vicious. Treat the child as an animal companion with Ferocity 3, Cunning 0, 1 Armor, Instinct 0. Follow the animal companion creation guidelines on page 131 of the Dungeon World rule book.
- The Child is kind. Chose a level one spell from the Cleric spellbook. You may ask the Child to cast this spell once per day.
by Judd Karlman
When you step into the Blood Pond while holding a symbol of life and a symbol of death, the symbol of life becomes a living construct and asks you permission to wield the symbol of death.
If you hand the symbol to it, it will come to life, roll +X, where X is every time you have visited the Black Gate and returned and/or how many times you have given birth. If you do not hand the construct the symbol of death, it will shriek hateful noises and words at you, dissolving into the Blood Pond.
On a 10+, hold 3.
On a 7-9, hold 1.
On a miss, the construct will attempt to kill you and hold your heart and skull as symbols of life and death in order to begin creating its own army of constructs.
- the construct is not immediately thirsty for blood.
- choose a move that the construct has inherited from you.
- the construct will live longer than one moon's cycle before dissolving into blood and regret.
- the construct does not resent you yet.
- the construct has a move it will teach you before it dies.
by Derek Grimm
See image below.